“Freedom of choice paralyzes” says Psychologist Barry Schwartz but narrowing down helps avoid “analysis paralysis”. Newbies can’t decide what exactly they need, have just a rough sketch in mind. In this backdrop, we get you started.
Step 1: Narrowing down for better theme/template selection.
WordPress theme/template developers already have created many distinct branches. First identify which branch you would focus on. Out of the many, here are the broad demarcations:
- Real Estate
- Wedding, and
Quite a mouthful so to speak of!
But the task is nicely cut and all you do is identify your suitable branch. If undecided still, choose the nearest, matching branch and you are good to go!
Step 2: Decide whether looking for Free or Paid options!
Free themes save you money whereas the paid ones reduce labor. With the latter, you can look for guidance, solving formatting and myriad other issues. Good authors even throw in a forum addressing all queries.
The above classification came from paid themes (Did we say reduced labor)? With free themes, you can always change themes
- for the heck of it, or
- because the overall look & feel didn’t meet your expectations, or
- because it was too difficult to work on, or
- any other reason.
Both: paid & free themes have their pros and cons. You can always start with free themes and switch later on to paid ones, the choice is yours.
By default, WordPress installs these three themes for your convenience. But you can always proceed choosing from thousands, till you drop dead.
- Free themes rarely, if ever, provide either demo data or specific instructions enabling to match your install with their showcased site.
- Get well-versed with terms like H1, H2, … H6 and Header/Footer/ Sidebar/Widgets/Lists/Wordpress dashboard before proceeding!
- Free themes are available inside WordPress and elsewhere on the Internet. The Freemium themes are also free themes with some premium (so-called) features. No harm trying them too!
- Few succeed in their first attempt. However, getting back on track is not too difficult either!
If unsatisfied with the above three themes, click on the Add New link and get ready to be overwhelmed. Remember, every option reduces the choices!
Responsive is the most important one to choose among the others shown below.
Step 3: Pay Attention to Author’s description on his theme!
Before giving in to the looks, please look at the ratings and what the author has to say about his product. Good authors always pay heed to users’ needs and advise accordingly. Only they know which topics suit best.
Either choose the matching layout or the nearest suitable. Avoid those that bait with free themes only to pester you to update for Pro versions.
Also, don’t get overawed by the words like page builder options as you could always buy separate plugins!
Your Preview may not match the chosen layout!
Most previews come loaded with only some pics and NO text. Don’t let this hollowness affect you. Every theme needs to be worked upon, needs adding-or-changing a few settings to match the needed look. Do not get disappointed.